Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Good examples

Last night I got a call from a sweet lady in our ward. She said she wanted to make Brother Flint a pie. She said the work he does as ward clerk often goes unnoticed and unappreciated so she wanted to make him a pie to show her appreciation. Sister Poulson's husband died a few years ago. Instead of having a big pity party, she goes about doing good for others. Another lady in our ward , Carla, called the compasionate service leader one day and asked what she could do to help someone. She said she needed something to uplift her spirits. I work in a reading program that relies heavily on volunteers. One lady, Naomi, has been with us for seven years. She comes two mornings a week. On the mornings she isn't with us she goes to a nursing home to volunteer. Because of health problems, she is in pain most of the time, but still does for others. I love the example set by all three of these ladies. I hope I can better follow their examples.

2 comments:

Vonnie said...

I agree. I work with senior citizens and I see both sides of aging. Those that carry on with a good attitude and those that fee sorry for themselves. I worked with one yesterday that is in her 80's. She helps with reading at an elementary school 3 days a week for 12 hours total. The other 2 days she goes to a quilt class and the temple. Every day she has something to get her out of bed. She is stooped over from what looks like osteoperosis, but she is active and has a good life. Three cheers for a good attitude and helping others.

Kary Ann Hoopes Photography said...

I love that you shared that! there is nothing better than service. I see the importance of Charity.!